Forum home Plants

Hosta - advice gratefully received.

ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,047
I got tempted, and bought these two hostas, Hosta sieboldiana var. elegans. 
Haven't grown hostas for years after all my early attempts ended up as expensive slug food.
I’m planning to put them in a pot, sited on the north side of the house.
Any advice to help them survive and thrive, despite my lack of green fingers?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
    Regular slug hunt. Look in and under nearby plants too. They often lurk under things they dont eat. Bad move to eat your home,I suppose 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,842
    Tagging @Hostafan1,  he's our resident expert. 
    AB Still learning

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,047
    Thanks, Allotment Boy. I was hoping to get a few pointers from Hostafan.
    Interesting, B3, that the little devils hide under nearby plants
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319
    hiya. 
    Flattered at the compliments. 
    Regular slug hunts, encourage thrushes and blackbirds and frogs and hedgehogs, and don't have a cat.
    Devon.
    Thanks, Hostafan. No cat, no hedgehogs ( too many badgers, I think, luckily I love the badgers ) Lots of blackbirds, frogs and toads, but I don’t think they’ll be much help as the pot is quite tall. Looks like it’ll be slug patrols. Hubby has offered to put some graphite grease round the side of the pot to deter climbers ( I had said I might try some WD40, but he said that would just wash off. ) We’ll try that.

Will regular bought potting compost be ok for these hostas, or should I use the ericaceous compost? 
    Thanks for taking the time to comment,  Hostafan, especially after your awful night. Hope you and OH can catch up on your sleep tonight. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,319
    edited May 2021
    Ergates said:
    Thanks, Hostafan. No cat, no hedgehogs ( too many badgers, I think, luckily I love the badgers ) Lots of blackbirds, frogs and toads, but I don’t think they’ll be much help as the pot is quite tall. Looks like it’ll be slug patrols. Hubby has offered to put some graphite grease round the side of the pot to deter climbers ( I had said I might try some WD40, but he said that would just wash off. ) We’ll try that.

Will regular bought potting compost be ok for these hostas, or should I use the ericaceous compost? 
    Thanks for taking the time to comment,  Hostafan, especially after your awful night. Hope you and OH can catch up on your sleep tonight. 
    Some folk swear by garlic spray. I've not tried that, nor copper or grease. 
    I rely on sheer numbers to overwhelm the slugs and snails.
    Regular compost is fine, no need for ericaceous.
    Devon.
    Thanks.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    edited May 2021
    I've found adhesive copper tape bands around the  outside of the pots (about 3" down from the rim) to be helpful ... not 100% but a bit improvement on not using them.  Also don't let the leaves touch anything else ... at least overnight ... if the slugs and snails can find something that will serve as a bridge they will. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,082
    And look out for baby snails, they hide deep in the core of the plant.  
    Channel Nitty Nora Flea Explorer.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    Thanks, all. I’ll let you know how they get on. I’m very excited to have them. Do you know I’ve never had them survive long enough to realise that hostas had flowers!