Forum home Plants

More alpines please.

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,605
Hi all, what’s the best way to propagate alpines? I have lots all in flower at the moment and I want a lot more for daughter to use on a sloping area in her front garden next year so what’s the most effective way to get more? 
Hope you can advise. Thanks 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994
    Cuttings, division and seed. Much the same way as you would propagate any  plant.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,605
    Thanks, just wondered about best time to do it, and any advice as I tend to get mixed results from cuttings. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    You could try layering ... that works well with sprawling/creeping types. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,876
    Maybe post specific examples and we can work it out from those? Summer tends to be a bad time to take alpine cuttings though so you may need to wait until September for some unless you can get them established before any real heat kicks in this year. As long as they're actively growing though you have a chance.
    Saxifrage, sedum and sempervivum are the really easy ones, and anything that creeps and puts down roots as it goes. I've had really mixed success with alpines from cuttings though. Ones that self seed are obviously a doddle if you can prick out some volunteer seedlings. 
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,773
    I bought and split this sempervivum 'new rose' last November.

I can echo that it is an easy one to propagate. These are the resulting 6 plants this morning. I just split it with one 'head' per pot. There might well be another multiplication by the end of the year ;) 

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,773
    I just need to find somewhere in the garden to put them now!
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994
    Phlox subulata types root as they grow along, so taking rooted pieces is easy at any time. Silver saxifrages are almost as easy as Semps to remove rooted pieces. Mossy Saxifrages can be split whenever you feel the need.