Forum home Plants

Are these exotic pink/orange flowers weeds?

msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 408
Was clearing out weeds from my garden and discovered these exotic-looking flowers. Not sure what they are but look pretty to me... Or are they weeds that I should get rid of please? Thanks!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited May 2021
    They are antirrhinums (snapdragons) which have overwintered.  They have naturalized in many parts of the UK.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    Antirrhinum cultivar ; a weed to some or a valuable garden plant to others .
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,288
    They are Snapdragons, Antirrhinum, they look like a dwarf variety. Kids love them, if you gently pinch the sides of the flower they open their mouths, release and they snap shut :) There's no 'should' about weeds, you only decide what you want to keep. My garden has loads of what others call weeds, and I dig out things other people choose to plant. Some lovely plants can make areal nuisance of themselves in some gardens and need to be cosseted in others just to keep them alive. All part of the fun of gardening!
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 408
    They are antirrhinums (snapdragons) which have overwintered.  They have naturalized in many parts of the UK.
    Paul B3 said:
    Antirrhinum cultivar ; a weed to some or a valuable garden plant to others .
    Thanks both! I'll keep them as flowering plants then  :) Looks like they should be growing upright? Mine seems to be crawling on the ground...
  • msqingxiaomsqingxiao North LondonPosts: 408
    They are Snapdragons, Antirrhinum, they look like a dwarf variety. Kids love them, if you gently pinch the sides of the flower they open their mouths, release and they snap shut :) There's no 'should' about weeds, you only decide what you want to keep. My garden has loads of what others call weeds, and I dig out things other people choose to plant. Some lovely plants can make areal nuisance of themselves in some gardens and need to be cosseted in others just to keep them alive. All part of the fun of gardening!
    Well said! Thanks a lot  :smile:
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022
    Weeds are only weeds if you don't want them in your garden..  My garden is full of 'weeds'. Saves a fortune at the garden centre.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    Snapdragons weeds!!!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,022
    I planted some last year and they're weeding all over the place . Great! @Nanny Beach😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.