Forum home Plants

Plant or weed?

CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
Hi guys,

Would like to know if this is a weed or a plant?

• seakaleseakale Posts: 142
    I think it’s a plantain
    i would consider it a weed
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,873
    Ribwort plantain.
    I would consider it a plant. :p
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • The flower heads are edible and taste like mushrooms.
    https://www.wildfooduk.com/edible-wild-plants/ribwort-plantain/
  • CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    Hmm yes that's definately the one however I don't fancy eating it. It doesn't look very appetising  :)

However I'm sure I do have some veg growing amongst the long grass that I've not mown yet so I will get some photos of it in here soon in hope you can all tell me what they are :)

Thanks
    Craigh
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Apparently the roots are very good for activating a compost bin. I would never put the seed head in but I do add the chopped roots. Too much time on my hands I know. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220
    Birds and poultry love the ripe seeds. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564
    Great in the compost and for wildlife so I weed it out of veg and ornamental beds but leave it in the wilder areas.  That way we all win.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,424
    I'd agree that the pic shows ribwort plantain.

It's a plant which can be seen as a weed - but it is definitely a plant nevertheless  :)

• CraighBCraighB Posts: 712
    Ok I have a few more for you :)

There is this....

And these... They grow all over a rockery that somebody has made in the garden. 

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 767
    The first two look like opium poppies. The next two could be one of the smaller persicaria?
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero