Forum home Plants

Clematis Etoile Violette

owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
Newly planted a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to be establishing OK and even looked to have put on a little growth on the growing shoots. 
This morning I find that 2 of the 3 growing shoots are hanging limp.  
Would appreciate any thoughts and comments on possible reason for this and any suggestions for remedial action necessary
TIA
cheers
Owd 

Just another day at the plant...

• B3B3 Posts: 27,306
    If the bottom leaves are healthy, I'd blame it on the cold nights.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,794
    It's not unusual for a bit of drooping when something's newly planted. It takes a while for them to get established and support all the top growth.
    It can also be a sign of a bit of slug/snail damage further back down the stem, or even if the stems get rubbed against a support, so you might want to take a look.
    It'll recover though, so I wouldn't worry too much. They're a very good, reliable variety. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 968
    I did wonder if it may be a cold effect, hopefully weather will be improving now.
    Leaves seem healthy enough, but i'll keep an eye on it and for slugs etc
    many thanks both
  • LG_LG_ Posts: 4,346
    Squirrels nip the tops here quite often, and also damage stems as they run along the fences, so cold / wind / slug or squirrel damage could all do that.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 8,629
    ..transplant shock or water shortage I would guess.. the tips should be pinched out anyway on this clematis.. it improves it no end.  You really don't need those tips.. 2 more shoots will appear at every leaf axil below where you've pinched.. stops it getting lanky, and more flowers result.. 
    East Anglia, England
    Thanks all for your help.
    I planted 3-4" deep as seems the norm, adding manure in the planting hole to promote new shoots from the base.
    @Marlorena should I pinch or cut back top growth quite low now to assist it to establish better and further promote basal shoots or just take out the tips now?
    I would think it will not be affected by water shortage. With clematis I bury a 2L plastic bottle in the planting hole (can see the cap in the above photo), half filled with gravel and holed in the bottom that I use to water and feed directly to the roots.

oh ok, bit of transplant shock then..

... this clematis will produce a whole ton of basal shoots when established.. at this stage i would just pinch out the growing tips, like I did with this one below recently..  as you can see, 2 new shoots are forming at the leaf axils.. they will grow rapidly.. even these can be pinched out too later, if I choose to do so.. I don't always.. the more you pinch the tips, the bushier and more floriferous the plant will be..

East Anglia, England
    Following from previous suggestions, I had removed the dying stem to base and pinched out the growing tips.
    Plant seemed to respond, producing several new side shoots at the leaf axils, and looked to be doing well.
    I have been watering regularly whilst it's been dry, and feeding every week or so with tomato feed.
    This is what it looked like this morning, the new shoots are wilting and the entire plant just looks unwell. I can find no obvious pests or slug damage lower down. 

Appreciate any thoughts and suggestions on cause and cures.
    cheers
    Owd
    I'm sorry your clematis isn't responding so far..  it's a very difficult one to actually kill..  I first grew it 30 years ago and the first season it wilted on me.. now, I'm not sure if it was actually wilt disease, as these types do not suffer from them as far as I know, but it wilted nonetheless, from whatever cause..  yours looks like going the same way...    if you lose all the top growth, it should reshoot from below ground... 

Despite the vigorous nature and reliability of this clematis, in my experience it can be a bit touchy in the first year... but after that.. it takes over.. 
    East Anglia, England
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 Posts: 956
    I would stop feeding it so then it can concentrate on getting established rather than being encouraged to put on lush growth and flowers.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
    East facing, top of a hill clay-loam, cultivated for centuries (7 years by me). Birmingham