Forum home Plants

Hibiscus , planting advice

I have ordered Hibiscus syriacus flower tower white. They have arrived and are very healthy , approx 6-8 inches tall . I intend to pot them on but how tall should they be before i plant out ?
They will be at the back of borders to add height so i am concernedthe plants around them
 will stop them getting enough light so they will not establish .

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I have several of these in this garden, inherited, and several colours   All are a few feet tall.

In my last garden - in Belgium - I had 2 or 3, all a metre or more tall but very late to come into leaf and flower because of the long, cold winters.   

I think you would do well to grow yours on in pots till they get to about 60cm tall before planting them out at the back of borders as they may end up swamped and challenged by competition.   You could also grow them in pts this year and plant them out in autumn when other plants are going dormant but that depends on how sheltered you are.

Use a loam based compost such as John Innes no 3 so they have food and drainage.   Give them plenty of sun and keep them watered but not drowned.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thank you . I live in the south of England, the garden is very sunny and sheltered . I will pot them on tomorrow and see how they go . 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Good luck.  Lovely plants when happy.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw