Forum home Plants

My apple tree needs help

Guys...my apple tree ...I'm not sure what's wrong with it...the leaves are curled and no matter what I've given it in terms of soil and fertiliser it hasn't responded positively ...it remains in this state. What's the answer?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    edited May 2021
    Water?  Apple trees are quite thirsty.  Certainly don't give it more fertiliser at the moment.  That may be contributing to the problem.

For the benefit of other forum members I note from your earlier posts that you garden in Northern Africa. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Are there any pests on it, underside of leaves etc.? 
  • Dove and zee 

I water every other day in the weather we've been having ...it hasn't rained since march. Glad I'm not a farmer.

No I haven't found any pests at all.

It doesn't seem at all happy compared to my other apple just opposite it...

How many buckets full of water do you give it every other day? 

I think  it would need at least 3 every other day ... possibly more. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hmmm...depends how big this bucket is.
    But I'd say...about... 3 litres every other day sometimes 2.
    Is that not enough? I thought it was because I was over watering. 
    edited May 2021
    It is very hard to overwater a tree planted in the ground, especially in your climate.  3 litres will not even reach down to  the root area  ... it will just dampen the surface and this means the tree roots will stay at the surface and be scorched in the heat rather than reach down to to dampness below. 

I would say a bucket contains at least 10+ litres ... three buckets full for each tree,  poured slowly over the root area so that it soaks in and doesn’t run off the dry surface, every other day from early March to mid September, will make a huge difference 
    😊 🍏 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,300
    It might also help to put something in the ground to water in to ...... we had to transplant some pear trees this winter, and this is how I am keeping them watered......

My old lemonade bottles have watering spikes screwed onto them, but you could also just bury them in the ground a bit.  Then water into the bottles and it soaks deeper into the ground with no run off
  • That's a great idea Chicky..

And Dove I had no idea they needed so much water.

I've been worried about over watering.

But I'll start giving them more and see how that does.