Forum home Plants

Rodgersia!

AstraeusAstraeus SheffieldPosts: 313
Here is a lovely plant that is not often mentioned.

I am planning to include it in my pond/bog garden/bankside planting scheme, using the extensive foliage to hide the top of a sunken pressure filter. I am struggling to decide between varieties so I thought it would reach out to see what experiences and recommendations you had.

Thanks,

A.

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,291
    I've no experience  with them, but |I know what you mean! They are on my shopping list too, for a corner that needs some attention and there are so many good ones. I have a big garden and you need big plants to make an impact, plus you need fewer plants overall.
    Been looking at Woottens who have some, but they don't have the one with the brown chestnut leaves that I want, so will have to do more research to find it :)

• shane.farrellshane.farrell Posts: 204
    I really like them and as an aside, I have found mine divided easily just before growth started by simply slicing up the crown with a bread knife to ensure each had an eye and roots. Like a Hosta really.
    I'd not worry too much about the variety as I bought one labelled Rodgersia aesculifolia but the leaves suggest it is podophylla. Either way it's a great plant and grows well in relative shade and with a bit more sun as long as the ground remains quite moist.
    There are slug warnings on most sites but despite many plants getting munched in the garden, the Rodgersia does not seem to get bothered (fingers crossed). Mine currently has bronzy new leaves which turn a nice mid green eventually. Flower spikes rose to about 1.4m in the first year after I bought mine but they were a decent size. For anyone with a moist shady/part shady spot, I'd recommend highly. Mine sits well with Pulmonaria under it as they don't mind the shade as the Rodgersia rise up.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • AstraeusAstraeus SheffieldPosts: 313
    Amazing @Silver surfer, what a collection!

I like pinnata Chocolate Wings and Buckland Beauty. Will probably end up with the later as the green is arguably nicer than the brown. Thanks @shane.farrell for the heads up about pulmonaria, once established it might be a nice idea to plant something for colour under its canopy.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,463
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,097
    Hi @Astraeus,

I grow Rodgersia aesculifolia in a damp but sunny area. It is a lovely plant, but most years I loose the first flush of leaves to frost. It does recover, but ends up not as large as it could be.
    I do live in Scotland .... and in a valley which is a bit of a frost pocket ... so this may not be an issue for you.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    I have 2 one was already here,leaves a foot across,purple,the area gets early morning sun, then shady and can be under several inches of water. 2012,it was amazing.we planted another in the same border with flowers,but a few dry years,it has never been the same
    Mine will be in a DPC-lined hole refilled by an above-ground hose so there will (should!) be no shortage of water. It is for an area that is part-shaded, with a bit of morning sun and nothing after around 3pm. I do very much like the palmate leaves on the podophylla but I have read that they flower reluctantly and the flower spikes on pinnata will link up nicely with astilbes on the other side of the pond.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,025
    Mine often don't flower, but I really love them for the foliage and am not bothered about the flowers.
    I too often lose the first leaves to frost, but they always seem to recover.
    Mine seem to do equally as well in sun, or shade, but all are grown in damp soil.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    punkdoc said:
    Mine often don't flower, but I really love them for the foliage and am not bothered about the flowers.
    I too often lose the first leaves to frost, but they always seem to recover.
    Mine seem to do equally as well in sun, or shade, but all are grown in damp soil.
    Are yours podophylla or pinnata?

I can take quite the cue from you re: frost and conditions because I think we live a few miles from one another!