Forum home Garden design

Brick border

Looking at doing a brick border. It won't be walked upon and will be placed flush with the grass ao the lawnmower will ride over the bricks and create a nice edge. On one side will be grass on other side it will be chippings/gravel. Am researching on how to lay these bricks properly. And I've come across this how to https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/diy/how-to-edge-a-lawn-with-bricks/
Also I've read online about putting gravel down then a layer of sand then laying the brick on top of this. Which is the best method am more moved towards the cement option as long as nothing shifts down the line and I only have to do it once. Any ideas guys? 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,709
    Hi @Fruffy91
    I don't want to detract you from this brick border project, but... I did toy with that idea a few years ago but gave up for various reasons. In retrospect I'm glad I gave up, because I widened all of my 3 mixed borders in succession. That would not have been feasible with brick borders in place. So my advice is "think twice before you embark on a definitive project." 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Fruffy91Fruffy91 Posts: 14
    Just just put some of that plastic edging down and it's looks a right mess and am not happy with the result. Keeping the idea of chippings in the bed just need a idea to keep the chippings and the grass separate. 
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 221
    I've done this. No sand, no gravel, just dug hole and put brick in it. The first ten years were good, easy maintenance, but for some reason the bricks are now sinking. We have lawn, then mown grass about half inch deep on top of brick, then grass escaping into the border.
    I am not looking forward to digging up the approximately 200 bricks edging the lawn, and replacing them an inch higher. Highly recommend a firmer base.
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 940
    Dig a small trench then bed them into mortar. You'll need plenty to stop them sinking and falling sideways ( haunching). Avoid laying end on or length ways. Make you you use paving blocks rather than bricks. The latter will crumble very quickly.