Forum home Plants

teracotta feet for pots

sally smithsally smith Posts: 55
some advice? have lots of pots to put on my new patio and need lots of feet to go underneath.
Any tips for best value ones?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,708
    "Feet for pots"? What do they look like? Never heard of them.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,443
    Depends how many pots and how you wish to align them - you can make your own supports just using wood.
    I have bought the terracotta feet but that was a long time ago so no idea of the cost these days.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,542
    They are not exactly cheap if you've got lots of pots. I don't bother, having had a large pot blown or knocked over and smashed one year. I've not had any problems with drainage that I know off but they do tend to keep the ants and woodlice out of pots. You could just use offcuts of wood or slabs.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,051
    In the DIY stores they seek them for c. 80p each. I think I bought mine from Homebase, but it could have been B&Q, very recently.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 2,149
    I bought some rubber pot feet, they are like ice hockey pucks, and once the pot is balanced on them, they are invisible. https://www.amazon.co.uk/plant-pot-feet/s?k=plant+pot+feet This is for reference, not to drum up more business for Amazon.
  • sally smithsally smith Posts: 55
    Thanks for ideas- may go for making my own
  • sally smithsally smith Posts: 55
    Did wonder about those- just need to make sure my pots are clean so they’ll stick
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    I've only got 1 big pot with an olive.
    I use some offcuts of wood about 6-8cm long 2cm wide 1 cm thick and the pot sits on 2 of them - 1 either side of the drainage hole.
    They're not long enough to be seen, so the pot just hovers 1cm above the patio :)
    They last a few years before needing to be replaced
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    Always worth looking at garden centres for any discontinued colours by Woodlodge who make a lot of pots. Picked up quite a few glazed ones for £1.99 per three pack. Otherwise the B&Q ones are nice and low profile and some of the cheapest https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-terracotta-pot-feet-pack-of-3/1914930_BQ.prd

But yes also easy enough to make some by reusing any suitable leftover materials.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • AngelicantAngelicant CheshirePosts: 128
    edited May 2021
    I just use bits of roofing tile