Forum home Garden design

Jacksons Fencing approved Installer quote - extortionate?

Hi there

I have recently had a Jacksons Fencing approved installer visit for a site survey. Although they haven't provided a quote breakdown for the Jacksons order, as far as I'm aware it should be no more than 13 6ft x 6ft panels (including gravel boards & capping) + gate & I have been told that their team of installers will take 3-4 days to finish the job. Apart from the price of the fencing itself they are quoting me labour costs of £3k pre-vat (£3600). Am I right to consider this much more than I should be paying?

• HeliosHelios Posts: 197
    It’s either a typo or a rip off!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Seems steep but you can only find out by getting comparative quotes from other companies and also references from satisfied customers so ask if there are any nearby you can visit.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102
    I would contact Jackson’s ... explain that you consider the price quoted to be too high, and ask for the names of some other fencing companies they ‘approve’ in your area. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,273
    Hi there

I have recently had a Jacksons Fencing approved installer visit for a site survey. Although they haven't provided a quote breakdown for the Jacksons order, as far as I'm aware it should be no more than 13 6ft x 6ft panels (including gravel boards & capping) + gate & I have been told that their team of installers will take 3-4 days to finish the job. Apart from the price of the fencing itself they are quoting me labour costs of £3k pre-vat (£3600). Am I right to consider this much more than I should be paying?
    If you work on £150 a day for the installers. £3K would be 20 man days labour.
    Can't imagine they're sending 5 guys for 4 days.
    Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,617
    4 days x 8 hours/day x 3 installers x £30/hour. It all adds up quite quickly.
    ask fora  breakdown. 
    " How many installers and how many hours per day" 
     I don't that's unreasonable
    Devon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,369
    edited May 2021
    OH recently ordered fence panels x 9 from Wickes, think they were about £24 each, posts and a local odd job man to fit them, day and a half. The whole lot was roughly £500. No gate. Norfolk.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 939
    Daylight robbery. Walk away.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,757
    edited May 2021
    All the numbers seem too big to me :o

Will it really take 3-4 days for a 'team' to install?

When my 6 panels finally arrive, I might have to up the price I charge myself to do the fitting ;)
    my guess is that as " approved installers" Jackson's cream off a percentage of any labour charge?
    Am I just a cynical old Scotsman?
    Devon.