Forum home Plants

Seedling ID (weed?)

WatsoniaWatsonia Posts: 104
I was weeding the strawberry bed between showers today and came across a mass of the attached seedlings. They don’t look like a weed I recognise so wondered if anyone could tell me what they are? 

• AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 596
    Feverfew - Tanacetum parthenium?
    East Anglia
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    I thought it might be poppies? I think I have some in my veg bed too so was going to move it.
  • WatsoniaWatsonia Posts: 104
    @Asarum and @Ilikeplants thank you for your feedback. I can’t quite decide between the two as the seedling pictures on google could be either. I never had feverfew in the garden so wouldn’t recognise the seedlings. I would be quite happy to keep it (not in the strawberry bed) as the photos online look very nice. I have sown poppies nearby, but they looked very different coming up. I will take some seedlings out and put them somewhere else and will be happy to be surprised.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 725
    Feverfew has a distinctive smell, rub the leaves and see if it is scented. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184
    edited May 2021
    They remind me of something ... does anyone else think they look like Limnanthes douglasii seedlings?  It's many years since I've grown them but ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 669
    Yes they also remind me of the poached egg plant seedlings.
    Thank you for everyone’s input. I think I would be happy with any of these options, I now transplanted the seedlings rather than just pulling them out. I noticed a rather distinctive smell when rubbing the leaves so I think it might be Feverfew. Not sure how it arrived in my garden but happy to see what happens.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,563
    If that's what limnanthes seedlings look like I'm happy as I'm going to direct sow some soon and have never sown them before.  If you have that or feverfew @Watsonia you are onto a winner.
    Fingers crossed @didyw. I read up on Feverfew and would be quite happy indeed.