Forum home Plants

Magnolia Stellata

ode62ode62 Posts: 6
I planted a magnolia 4-6 weeks ago, the buds on it flowered, but only an additional couple of buds came out and now it is looking decidedly dead. Is there anything to be done?

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,558
    Can you post a picture?  I planted mine last autumn and it is just finishing flowering.  It does have leaves though. Maybe as yours has only been in the ground a short time, it is busy establishing its roots before making any new top growth?  The flower buds would have already been formed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    Did you water it heavily after planting, and regularly after that? 
    April was extremely dry in most of the UK. Vital to water any shrub well after planting, and even more so in dry spells. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ode62ode62 Posts: 6
    I’m not used to this website, I will try to post a picture for you:sorry it’s sideways!
    I thought I’d watered it enough, but maybe I hadn’t. Is it too late to save it? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited May 2021
    It has some leaves so is alive.  Just keep up with the watering if it doesn't rain.  Newly planted trees are best treated like they are still in pots for the first year as they won't be able to take in enough water from the surrounding soil until the roots get going, which takes a long time.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,972
    The ground looks bone dry. It needs a bucket of water at a time when you water, for the reasons given by @BobTheGardener. It's easy to underestimate how dry the ground can be if there's been frost and sun, and very little rain for a few weeks, and unless the soil is very moisture retentive, it doesn't take long to dry out, which is no use for newly planted shrubs or trees. 
    It would be a good idea to remove all the weeds etc from round it too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

We have had so much rain, that soil isn’t dry and the weeds are there because of the weather! I have taken on board to keep up the watering, and I shall, thanks for the help 😉