Forum home Plants

Is it too late to sow rudibeckia seeds?

IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
I just found some saved seeds but think I’ve missed the boat for this summer?

Is late May the time to give all sowing of seeds a rest now?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,007
    There's probably a few fast growing things like stocks, nasturtiums and some salad things you'd get away with but who knows this year. I'd sow them, you might not get flowers this year but they're perennials so you'd get flowers next year. You might find you need to keep them sheltered this winter though.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    But that would mean nurturing it for a longer time through the summer then say sowing it in September instead for the same results?
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,007
    Probably😊
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    edited May 2021
    Are they perennials , some rudbeckia are only annuals.  If they’re perennials you can sow in September/October for planting out the following year. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    i think they must be perennial because I sowed some last autumn and the leaves are still there now but not doing much so I was going to try sow some more in spring but forgot to.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,134
    Perennial Rudbeckia are late flowering,  they are a good late summer autumn colour, you could sow the seeds now, or leave for a bit later, they’ll need to be overwintered whatever you chose. 
    Mine have just got small rosettes of leaves at the moment. You can split them now if you want to. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,764
    I sowed about 6 weeks ago but they are still tiny. My packet said that was the right time, so considering we are having April weather, you might be ok.
    My garden and I live in South Wales.