Forum home Plants

Can I transplant a Welsh Poppy?

EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
I suspect that it will die because they have long tap roots. But as it has to be moved, for the best chance of survival, is it worth doing now, or waiting until autumn. I will do my best to remove a big clump of soil as deep as I can. 
Carmarthenshire 
If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Just spread some seed, they always grow.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    It should be fine if you can get most of the root. They are hard to kill and even harder to remove. They also self-seed a lot.
    So if you want to grow them as plants (rather than consider them weeds), wait for this one to set seeds (which happens quickly) and then move the plant as needed and scatter the seeds where you want them.
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    That’s a thought @edhelka. Interesting that they might be considered weeds.  I live in Wales, where you’d think they’d be at home, but in 14 years, there have never been more than 3 or 4 of them in what is a very big garden, so something is holding them in check. It’s certainly not me being a dedicated weeder, unfortunately 😁. 
    Carmarthenshire 
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    I've got them everywhere, orange and yellow ones, and I love them, for their ferny leaves and cheerful colours. They must like wind and rain because I don't do anything positive to encourage them, other than just let them get on with it. We aren't far from Wales, we can see it from the top of our hill, so they must feel at home.
    I've often dug one up when chasing ground elder and just stick them back in, as long as they've still got some root they usually recover, but if you go prepared with a big fork or spade you should get all of it. :)
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 442
    I’ll have a go tomorrow then, thanks.
    Carmarthenshire 
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    The problem with them is that they self-seed somewhere where they aren't wanted - growing through other plants, in the paving etc. and they also don't fit in my colour scheme but I agree they are pretty.