Forum home Plants

Do peonies like full sun?

Serenity22Serenity22 South Yorkshire Posts: 35
I’ve placed my peony where is sunny most of the time, but I’m not sure if I should place it where there is shade instead of full sun. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Full sun.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166
    I have peonies doing incredibly well in NE facing and W facing beds- photo taken today - is in NE facing bed

The common dark one [Rubra] will take some shade, but most cultivated varieties don't do well with shade.  :)

• Serenity22Serenity22 South Yorkshire Posts: 35
    I have rose pink, Sarah Bernhardt and Karl Rosenfield
  • selinasallyselinasally Posts: 166
    Fairygirl said:
    The common dark one [Rubra] will take some shade, but most cultivated varieties don't do well with shade.  :)
    aha - I had no idea what varieties they were  and why they looked so different . Thanks  :)
    If it's too shady, they'll tend to lean to get more sun, so a sunnier site is always better for them. Good drainage, and not planted too deeply.  Good supports too, as many get quite large and can be damaged easily in windy weather.  :)

Yes- Rubra is pretty easy. It grows in quite shady aspects no problem. I should have said that in my first post. There's some near me which must never get any amount of sun at all   :)

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 982
    I have peony envy now.

Mine is planted shallowly, in full sun (south facing) has been fed, watered and pampered and is now into its second year. Good leaf growth, not a flower bud in sight. 
  • Serenity22Serenity22 South Yorkshire Posts: 35
    I have peony envy now.

Mine is planted shallowly, in full sun (south facing) has been fed, watered and pampered and is now into its second year. Good leaf growth, not a flower bud in sight. 

Wow! 
    They can take a little while to settle in so don't worry.  I don't feed mine other than a sprinkle of BF&B once it starts into growth   :)
    Mine are always planted quite proud of the soil because we get a lot of rain, and the soil takes a long time to warm up. I have a white one against the house wall, which helps a bit with drainage, although it's fully in the face of the prevailing wind and rain. 

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    edited May 2021
    Coincidentally I was in the GC this morning and they had a very impressive yellow Intersectional/Itoh peony ‘Bartzella’ and I was wondering the very same thing! As I don’t have any experience with peonies, or any peonies, I thought I had better do some research before buying it, which probably means it won’t be there next time!

OH, and having looked it up, it says it can take partial or dappled shade, so the spot I had in mind would be perfect. Darn and double darn!