Forum home Plants

Lavender

Hi,

I'm looking to plant some lavender angustifolia hidcote in a raised bed.

There's plenty of information about how far apart to plant them but I can't find anything about how far to plant them from the edge of the bed, is it just the same, so around 30-35cm or is it half that?

Thanks
Emma

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,874
    Hi Emma and welcome to the forum.
    Hidcote grows to about 50-100cm high and wide.
    It's up to you how close to the edge of the bed you put them.
    I'd say they need to be at least 20-25cm in so the roots have good space around them, then it's up to you to judge what look you want.
    If you put them 25cm behind the edge, then they'll start to tumble over the side after a couple of years, which can look good.
    If you plant them further back, then they'll be like little bushes.
    If you plant them further back still, you could plant something in front of them even.

You'll prune them each year too, so that gives you extra control. You can keep them fairly small and compact, or let them do their own thing, but they need some trimming each year to keep them fresh
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks Pete  :)

I'm thinking they would go well with some roses behind them as, if I'm correct many roses grow taller than the lavender will? The border is about 80cm wide, its quite long so either side of these taller plants I'm considering something shorter with complementary colours, I'm pretty new to this so I'm just trying to base it around lavender which is the main plant I knew I wanted. 
    Roses and lavender is a lovely combination.
    80cm isn't very wide for lavender and roses though. They both need plenty of sun to be happy and the lavender will need good drainage, so dig in some grit where you're going to plant them. The roses prefer less well drained soil.
    I'd put the lavender quite close to the edge and make sure the roses you choose are not too vigorous
    If you want some inspiration, you could take a look at David Austin Roses & Peter Beales Roses

• Perhaps I'll keep them further apart down the length of the bed, having looked at a few I'm wanting to keep it all relatively low so if they're further apart some ground cover roses like magic carpet.

Are there plants that can go between plants like roses and lavender that don't steal / require too much, some hardy low shrubs? 
    There are a vast amount to choose from Emma.
    Don't forget that your little plants will soon grow and you don't want to overcrowd them like I do :)
    You don't have to buy from them, but Crocus has a really good set of filters (on the left) that can help you narrow down your choice.
    https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/shrubs/plcid.1/
    https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/perennials/plcid.2/

Some thymes would ne nice, dwarf or normal oregano grows easily here for me.
    Rosemary (can get big but easily cut back)
    Dwarf geraniums (sanguineum)
    Dianthus
    Verbena rigida
    Agastache would go well
    I better stop now :)
  • Thanks Pete! You've been a huge help :) 
    I look forward to some photos when it's done ;)
    Good luck!
    Any more questions - let us know