Forum home The potting shed

Why people don't use this forum.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,721
    edited 23 May
    Fire said:

Has anyone had a response from them recently?
    It seems that 'stuff' is actioned when they're alerted but now that Nora has left there is no longer a member of staff whose job description is focussed on the forum and supporting forum members ... that was a new and short term post because of the total re-vamp of the site ... my understanding is that nowadays the forum is looked after by the whole team on an 'as and when' basis, and more experienced forum members help and look after newer ones as best we can, which is just how a friendly gardening forum should be.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,739
    We could start a heated debate about cats again. That always seems to get the attention of the moderators :)
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,716
    Camelliad said:
    @tui34 "I arrived with a 'pea' query" has to be the cutest sentence I've read today!!

They mistook this for a medical forum :D
  • GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 276
    The original poster is often controversial. This means that he/she enjoys the fuss created and I guess we all just added to it!  I didn't know about 'dismiss' either. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,716
    We could start a heated debate about cats again. That always seems to get the attention of the moderators :)

On the subject of cats .......  Has anybody else seen the clip on Facebook of a cat being mugged by a pair of magpies?  It shows the intelligence of the birds as one got either side of the cat to goad it.  When it turned one way, the bird behind it went in and pecked it, then when it turned to defend itself the other one attacked.  The cat soon had enough and b**gered off.
  • B3B3 Posts: 19,405
    That happened on our fence too. Maybe a neighbour filmed it.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,174
    Grannybee said:
    The original poster is often controversial. This means that he/she enjoys the fuss created and I guess we all just added to it!  I didn't know about 'dismiss' either. 
    It’s whats known as ‘Flame bating’   
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    Skylarks said:
    If this thread didn’t exist, I wouldn’t know you could dismiss the announcements. The announcements didn’t stop me using this forum, I just scrolled past them and now I don’t need to anymore 👏 😃
    Doesn't it tell you on the home page of the forum...in the purple highlighted box?
    Just goes to show, I don’t pay attention to detail 😂 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,560
    On the rose thread I recently learned (to my amazement) that you can do a search within an individual thread. Beside the list of numbers of pages at the top of the thread page, there is a magnifying glass search icon.  For threads the the rose one, this is great to track down details and quotes within hundreds of page of chat. - - Just shows how little attention I pay.

Also - when using the general search function, the click on the arrrow beside the search word, a drop down menu appears. You can then search by author, data and thread title. It's easy to miss that this function is here.

I should say that the above is how it appears on a laptop, it may well look different on a phone. My last tip would be - don't use a phone to look at the forum where possible, it's a waste of a great resource.
  • SkylarksSkylarks East MidlandsPosts: 379
    Thanks @Fire, that’s a very useful tip 👍. It works on my iPad too.