Forum home Garden design

We're you at it in the 70's?!

• FireFire Posts: 18,019
    I'd never heard of Party 7 in my life. Thanks for that.
  • B3B3 Posts: 26,954
    I liked them all _ apart  from pina colada.  I drew the line at poking things on sticks  into half a melon
    I stand by cheese and pineapple,  chicken live and prawn cocktail . As with everything,  ignore the supermarket variety you get now.
    Curries were better too. They were often made from scratch by people who were  proud of their food heritage  
    Once their children went off to be doctors  or whatever,  they bought in sauces from the cash and carry  to produce meals that could be assembled by anyone. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,071
    edited May 2021
    Fire said:
    The main palette I think of is orange and brown floral. We had this in a oil table cloth and as a picnic cool bag.

That is almost identical to our kitchen wallpaper in the house we bought in 1973! We thought it was really with it.
    I've just had a good giggle reading through this thread.
    Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,145
    The first meal that a man ever cooked for me. Reader, l married him. 
    (Anyone who says l have low standards is lying 😁).

• EmerionEmerion Posts: 566
    Definitely rockeries, which plunged spectacularly from grace soon afterwards. I’ve heard that they are making a comeback, but have not seen any in real life yet. I remember sedums smothered in butterflies in most gardens, forget-me-nots, bedding ranged in tight rows around perfect lawns, @Pete.8 brought back memories of our front garden - my parents had both iceberg and peace roses. 
    Carmarthenshire (mild, wet, windy). Loam over shale, very slightly sloping, so free draining. Mildly acidic or neutral.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,810
    The Vesta Paella and Chicken Supreme used to be our favorites.
  • B3B3 Posts: 26,954
    Fray Bentos cow pie. My husband still eats it. I refuse to put it in my trolley so he has to do the shop of shame himself.
    I used to like the beef curry, especially when you came across a partially rehydrated crunchy bit of 'beef'. Never enough rice. I always had to make extra.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SkandiSkandi Posts: 1,721
    B3 said:
    Fray Bentos cow pie. My husband still eats it. I refuse to put it in my trolley so he has to do the shop of shame himself.

very occasionally I find those in the shops here, I love them... nothing easier really.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,423
    I used to grow bedding plants and tomato plants for pocket money. I even put them in for a neighbour who wanted a nice colourful strip at the side of the drive. I got a shilling a dozen.  Most of it I spent on Paraffin for the greenhouse heater.
  • BrodiePBrodieP Posts: 21
    Really great to have a read through all your posts - thank you again for sharing your memories......quite the eye opener! We're going to dedicate a smallish area at the side door to house the 70's garden - that way when you look back at the house it'll all tie in nicely... but you won't be able to see it from the house itself.
    We have those blocks that @Nollie mentions - but they're quite a height so the pattern I see is circles. My Gran had a bathroom set with the pattern that @Fire mentions - washing basket, tumbler, wasbag - but in a sort of pink colour.
    Like it or loathe it, there's no denying the colours and textures of the decades are way more exciting than the greyness that @SlipperyElm mentions above.