Forum home Plants

Plant id if possible

turmericturmeric Posts: 825
Evening everyone, can anyone tell me what this is? My friend was given it by her friend who told her it was a herb but she didn't know what herb.  The leaves don't smell at all and it seems to be developing flower spikes?  BTW this is her greenhouse so please don't blame me for the slug killer and insecticide :o Many thanks.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,004
    It has the look of corriander. If you want to find out what a herb is, the best way is to crush a leaf and see what it smells of.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,990
    It's possibly coriander.
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 825
    No, it's not coriander.  I did crush a leaf but it didn't smell at all.  It's taken about 8 months to get this big.  It started out at about 2inches high looking identical just obviously smaller and now it's this big. No smell at all.  The flowers are just appearing as tightly held buds on the end of long spikes.  They haven't opened yet and look a bit like green versions of sanguisorba seedheads.
    It may not be a herb, she could have been wrong.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,004
    edited May 2021
    Herbs smell. Maybe it's the root that's of interest🤔
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    I think it's salad burnet, Sanguisorba minor.  I believe you can eat the leaves, but it also has medicinal uses - to treat the plague, among other things...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    That's a thought B3.  As I say, she could have been wrong though about it being a herb.  Maybe I'll post another picture if this flower type thing opens?
    OMG well done Liriodendron, I even said the flowerheads looked like sanguisorba but I didn't realise one of the sanguisorbas was a herb.  Thanks ever so much.  And thank you to B3 and AnniD too. :)
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    edited May 2021
    It's easy for me to appear clever when it's a plant I've grown, @turmeric...  just shows how long I've been gardening...   :o
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore