Forum home Plants

Would it be harmful to an apple tree to plant a Montana clematis to grow over it?

carolwashnotcarolwashnot Posts: 5
edited May 2021 in Plants
Would it be harmful to an apple tree to plant a Montana clematis to grow over it?

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,017
    I think it would have to be a pretty big tree to be honest. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    I frankly don't see the point.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,436
    Given the tendency for C Montana to be a strong growing plant, I wouldn't advise it.
    Depends on how old/well established your Apple is  and how much clear ground you have around the base as to whether you could choose a less aggressive climber ?
    Planted close together, there will be competition for water and nutrients.
    You have more options if you just wish to use the Apple tree as a support rather than making use of any fruit.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269
    I’ve seen it done successfully with a very large venerable old apple tree that is past its best days and no longer producing worthwhile fruit 

I wouldn’t do it to a healthy productive tree. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
    I had a Clematis rehderiana growing through quite a beast of a Bramley apple tree. It just becomes a tangle and quite unsightly except for a few months. When it's not unsightly it affects the health of the tree by introducing congestion and reducing air circulation - I took it out.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    And think of the weight of all that Clematis. It would end up pushing the apple boughs downward. In winter it would look like Arthur Scargill’s barnet.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.