Forum home The potting shed

Do you ever wonder what happened to your camelia flowers?

B3B3 Posts: 18,765

In London. Keen but lazy.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,498
    Little monkey!  Sweet though.
    just don’t let him get near your phone lines cables or loft space .
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,259
    No tree rats here @B3!!   I finally planted out my lovely red flowered Gloire de Nantes camellia in March and it is thriving.   Still flowering after 2 months, tho sporadically now, and lots of lovely fresh new foliage and growth showing.    Had to water it all thru April but not this month.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,765
    I don't encourage them at all. I don't even grow camelias!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,341
    Pretty standard for the squirrels round here. They seem to like the bases, the petals go everywhere.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,255
    This year they seem so ravenous, they ate about 30 miniature tulips that were thankfully finishing off...but utterly infuriating as was intending to save them for next year. They didn't touch them last year...chicken wire will be deployed next year. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,928
    I noticed yesterday that a neighbour has a wonderful camelia covered in flowers and buds - in nearly June! We've had camelias flowering locally since January. I imagine the cool weather has helped - as with tulips - to prolong the season.

• dappledshadedappledshade Top of the Hill, North London Posts: 865
    Out garden has been remarkable devoid of tree rats, since the kittens started going outside.
    Best deterrent there is 😊

The little sods destroyed my damsons last year - really galling to se all the flesh spat out onto the ground, as all they want is to get to the stone.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,765
    I watched them tucking into next door's camelia flower buds earlier in the year. Obviously, they didn't eat the lot. Well  at least it keeps the tree rats away from my garden
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 168
    I've got two Jack Russell's yet still get loads of squirrels. They seem to play dare with the dogs! 
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 231
    The rain wrecked all of mine. Squirrels seem to like my walnut tree more even eat the bark.