Forum home Plants

Chives

WildlifeloverWildlifelover Posts: 377
Our local Homebase sells Chives, labelled as Allium schoenoprasum, but their description says it is an annual; I thought, maybe wrongly this is a perennial?

Im thinking of creating a small herb bed and was thinking of adding Chives but may reconsider if they are annuals?

Thanks.

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 2,188
    edited May 2021
    Chives are perennial, they form bulbs and increase in clump size over time. These are ones that I divided into individual bulbs and planted in pots last year, they’ve grown on and formed small clumps.

Descriptions are often wrong. My thyme plants were all grown from a seed packet which described them as annuals. They’re several years old now!

• SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,578
    Most certainly perennial and they will spread nicely given half a chance.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,197
    Probably the easiest of all the alliums. Great in shade too   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WildlifeloverWildlifelover Posts: 377
    Great, many thanks all. Will the Homebase plants flower this year? Also, even though our soil is reasonably well drained, should I add some grit/sand to enhance drainage? 
    They probably will. I wouldn't bother adding anything - they grow in quite damp conditions here   :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,145
    No special treatment for them, you’ll have them forever, I can’t even remember how long my clumps have been in.
    Mine always get rust a bit late on, no need to worry, cut them down to the ground and they’re up again in no time. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WildlifeloverWildlifelover Posts: 377
    Ok, thanks. What other herbs would folk recommend to grow with the Chives? 
    I grow my chives in the shady borders so I don't have any other  herbs with them, but if you grow lettuce, that will grow in the same sort of conditions. 
    The more Mediterranean herbs don't do terribly well here, so if I grow those, they need to be in pots for overwintering. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    Parsley, dill or coriander like the same conditions. Basil too, but only if it's warm enough!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,088
    I let the flowers grow even though there's less to eat (flowers are edible if you can bear to pick them) and plant them mostly in partial shade. I treat them as a decorative plant you can eat .
    In London. Keen but lazy.