Forum home Plants

Strong wind - do you stake your alliums?

pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,046
I’m not sure whether I should or not. Would it be better to tie them lower or higher up? 

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 2,267
    Normally, I don't. I did yesterday. It got decapitated. Sometimes I think I just should give up on anything tall.
  • HazybHazyb Posts: 336
    edited May 2021
    Ok Lordy it has been so windy today in my garden along with heavy rain. I get swirling wind.  My Scepter’d  Isle Rose has been blown every which way and is now a bedraggled mess and slightly bent over. Nothing has snapped though. Phew!  I shall have to see what I can do when it’s ok to go out again. 

My alliums however are still standing tall. So to me they don’t seem to need staking unless you’re in a very exposed site maybe.  
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    They're pretty flexible in the wind, at least the ones I grow are. I think staking them would spoil the look, and perhaps make them more susceptible to snapping, as edhelka has found.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,046
    Thank you, @edhelka and @Hazyb. I wouldn’t normally stake alliums, but I have some tall ones this year, around 160 cm. The roses are fine so far, a bit concerned about the standard. Some clematis shots have been broken.
    Strong winds all day tomorrow. Just when I’ve finally started taking plants outside from the house. 
    Thank you, @Loxley. That’s what I was wondering. I’ll let them be and I’ll try not to look through the window until Saturday. 🤞
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    I've lost branches on some new hydrangea... they are now all securely tied up...
    I haven’t even check on the hydrangea yet. I’ve only quickly moved some pots against the fence, tucked some other ones in every corner available and took some tender plants back inside.