Forum home Plants

Help needed with my Dicksonia antarctica

Hello there everyone,

I’ve recently purchased a Dicksonia antarctica fern and I’m worried I’m loosing it some how.  I obviously replanted it into a bigger pot and did this all the correct way.  I’ve placed the plant in a semi shaded area (no full afternoon sun) but after 4 it gets sun.  And I’ve been watering when it’s not rained.  (Should I water every day even if it’s rained?). 

My issue is the plant is turning yellow and there are some brown spots also.  

Can anyone please help me solve this issue please.  

David. 

• MarranMarran Posts: 171
    edited May 2021
    Hi.  Are you feeding it?
    "Tree ferns thrive on a liquid feed such as Phostrogen every two weeks or so from Apr-Aug. It is very important that is only a quarter strength of the recommended dose. This should be watered in to the crown. We have also heard of them liking a tablespoon of sugar in their crown in the spring - it doesn't hurt to try this one!" - quote from Todd's Botanics who supply them ... I've got 2 arriving soon :smiley: There's quite a bit of useful information on their website ..

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,994
    There's also information here from Kelways which may help
    https://www.kelways.co.uk/page/tree-ferns/79/#pots
  • Marran said:
    Hi.  Are you feeding it?
    "Tree ferns thrive on a liquid feed such as Phostrogen every two weeks or so from Apr-Aug. It is very important that is only a quarter strength of the recommended dose. This should be watered in to the crown. We have also heard of them liking a tablespoon of sugar in their crown in the spring - it doesn't hurt to try this one!" - quote from Todd's Botanics who supply them ... I've got 2 arriving soon :smiley: There's quite a bit of useful information on their website ..

Hi there marran, 

thank you for your help,  funny you say that as I’ve just this morning fed it some liquid seaweed.  But this is the first time since I’ve had the plant. So no food for 3 weeks.  Do you think the sun could make this yellowing happen too? 

Many thanks 
    David 
  • I’ve recently been told all this rain we’re having could be the cause of this.  Could this be possible?  I thought these plants couldn’t get enough water? 
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    edited May 2021
    Hi David,  the video on Todd's Botanics' website is an excellent source of information - I watched it twice after Marran directed me there! You have a fine looking tree with a well established crown so I assume you purchased it rooted.  If so it should be able to take feed through the crown, trunk and roots to support the fronds.  I'm sure you followed the correct advice with regard to planting medium but just check that there is enough space under your pot for water to drain - they love water but it needs to be free draining.  I'd be tempted to take the tree out of the confines of the pot and put it in the ground where it can establish a good root system to support future fronds.  Mycorrhizal fungi (Rootgrow) will help this process.  It is of a good size to look just as imposing out of the pot and you will find it establishes itself more naturally.  Hope this helps.
  • ADPWirral said:
    Hi David,  the video on Todd's Botanics' website is an excellent source of information - I watched it twice after Marran directed me there! You have a fine looking tree with a well established crown so I assume you purchased it rooted.  If so it should be able to take feed through the crown, trunk and roots to support the fronds.  I'm sure you followed the correct advice with regard to planting medium but just check that there is enough space under your pot for water to drain - they love water but it needs to be free draining.  I'd be tempted to take the tree out of the confines of the pot and put it in the ground where it can establish a good root system to support future fronds.  Mycorrhizal fungi (Rootgrow) will help this process.  It is of a good size to look just as imposing out of the pot and you will find it establishes itself more naturally.  Hope this helps.
    Hi there Wirral, 

thank you for your lovely in-depth message.  Yes I planted it as per instructions.  I’ve actually moved the plant in doors for the next couple of days as the wind here is stupid fast.  

On inspection I’m sorry to say my plant really isn’t well.  It’s actually got some brown leaves.  Hopefully a good rest inside with no water and wind it’ll come back to life.  

David 
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    Hi David the I've had 2 6ft dicksonia for about 7 years now in chilly Yorkshire. From your picture I can't see anything wrong, fronds look nice and lush with lots of them. A close up picture of them would help. Be cautious taking it inside as you might shock it with another move back outside again. 

Mine get a feed of tomato fertilizer about once a month and I water regularly when it's dry. They get more sun then is recommended but have survived quite happily and hopefully my Paulownia tree will give more shade this year.