Forum home The potting shed

Fungi identification.

I found this  this week, growing on a pile of oak wood shreddings. There is no ring on the stem. Anyone any ideas? (I don't plan on eating them, just curious)
You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,068
    There isn't much fruiting at this time of year, my wild guess would be Entoloma clypeatum but the gills look to be free of the stem which would rule that out. If you could do a spore print that would help with ID.
    Second guess, deer shield mushroom - Pluteus cervinus.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,335
    T'other half thinks Deer shield mushroom, Pluteus cervinus.   I can't find my Roger Phillips  fungi book.  I've cut the stem off and put it on white paper.  I will photograph the spore print and post tomorrow.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,335
    Spore print. Not brilliant, I think it's a bit old.  Lots of little mites hiding in the gills though.

The spore colour range is reported as salmon pink to reddish brown so your older specimen looks like it fits in the range. There isn't much else in that size that fruits this early and the oak woodchip would be a typical substrate for it.