Forum home Plants

Anemone blanda

DedekindDedekind Posts: 171
Hi, 

Just bought two pots of anemone blanda.. after flowering, extremely cheap so I said why not? 

After reading a bit, they can spread too much and be invasive, is this true? How easy are they kept under control? Had no idea they were bulbs either.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,987
    They do spread if you are lucky, but so what? They will disappear fairly quickly after flowering. The answer is to remove the seed heads which will slow their increase down.
  • GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 198
    I have them in the garden and I wouldn't call them invasive. They'll self seed around but not excessively so. It's not like unleashing muscari in your garden. 
  • DedekindDedekind Posts: 171
    Gearóid said:
    I have them in the garden and I wouldn't call them invasive. They'll self seed around but not excessively so. It's not like unleashing muscari in your garden. 
    Thanks, muscari is exactly what I had in mind because I have those in the front garden.. was afraid something similar would occur but apparently not :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,294
    They HAVE NEVER ,seeded on me,I keep buying them I wish they would
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,987
    I save and sow the seeds rather than letting them drop naturally. Like most members of that family the seeds do need to be sown fresh though.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,888
    Ours do spread but we love them and ever year we see more in flower in small areas of the garden.
    Never had to save seeds just let them do what they want to.