Forum home Plants

Ivy-leaved toadflax

LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
edited May 2021 in Plants
I love this plant, but having always previously found it growing in places where I couldn't keep it, I've been delighted this year that it's coming up around the edges of a bed where I can leave it to do its thing.

However, is it too happy? It's growing under a little Cotoneaster hedge and seems to be really swamping it. The Cotoneaster is a tough thing and I'm sure will withstand it, but obviously there are other plants nearby. Should I be curbing the toadflax's activities before it becomes a monster and overruns all in its path? What would you do?

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Beautiful.
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
    One of my favourite plants. Easy to control, just yank it out or cut it back. Careful with yanking out as you might destroy more than you intend to.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,076
    Pull it out or cut lumps of it off. It's not fussy
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    Thanks - I take it you both think I should be removing some then, not leaving it be?
    - Cicero
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 605
    That's entirely up to you. Once it encroaches plants you're fond of (in my case those are small maidenhair ferns) you can halt its progress. Or if it is so vigorous that a sense of balance is lost. Initially I was very cautious when cutting it back as I was afraid to lose it! You could pull a little bit out and cut a little bit back, just to acquaint yourself with it.
    Thanks. I find it hilarious that for years it has only popped up where I couldn't keep it so I saw it as precious, and now it's gone berserk!
    - Cicero
    edited May 2021
    What is was trying to say was, when it gets too much, you won't damage it by giving it a good haircut.. Next year, you will find it hanging out of pots and shinning up drainpipes.
    I waited years for the proper red valerian to make it down my road to my garden. It arrived a couple of years ago. I still have mostly white and some pink but I love the red.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,903
    Yes we have it in an area that we say thanks.... it creeps alongs the path and we can then just pull up those that we don't wont to continue.
    It is a lovely plant but does need control.
    Thanks all. I will both treasure it and control it! 

Planted some sweet woodruff near it the other day - they can fight it out.
    - Cicero
    One of those low growing pointy leafed geraniums with the magenta flowers has out competed my sweet woodruff. Now that was a surprise!