Forum home Garden design

What would you do with this border?

Hello, been lurking for a while and thought it was time to join!

We took out a old overgrown pyracantha hedge at the beginning of the year, and I'm (finally!) starting to think about what to replace it with. 

Neither our next door neighbour or us want to put a fence in, but I'd like to screen the bare first metre or so of their hedge

We're in the south east, soil is loamy clay, and faces south-west, semi shade most of the day. Border is 8m x 1.2m ish. Can't extend the border out any further as we have a corkscrew hazel in the centre of the lawn and it would throw our the symmetry. 

We do get some lovely morning sunlight, so currently thinking about grasses like Calamagrostis, maybe some dogwood for winter interest, but I'm curious as to what others would do - I've been wanting the hedge out for so long, and how it's gone I don't know what to do with the space! Only request is for no pyracantha, red robin or winter jasmine 😁

The two roots, plus the gravel that was used as mulch (😢😢) will all be going before planting. 
First pic is a close up - the fence post you can see is 90cm tall.

• rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 814
    What about a Choisya ternata 'Aztec Pearl' to hide the bare back of the photinia? 'Aztec Pearl' doesn't get as large as the straight C. ternata and it's easy to prune it to keep it in check.  Amenanthele lessoniana would work well, providing contrasting with the choisya and echoing the tones of the photinia but in a more muted palette.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305
    HOSTAS :D
    Devon.