Forum home Garden design

How to train Clematis Petit Faucon on trellis.

Hi everyone, I’ve been searching how best to do this, but can’t seem to find an answer. It only grows 1.5m in height and 1m spread so not sure how best to do it.

Here is a picture of the current setup. I do have another extendable trellis that I was going to place underneath the one that’s already there and tie it in. Any advice would be gratefully received :)

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,658
    I have Petit Faucon - it's non-clinging, more of a herbaceous scrambler than a climber and its leaf stalks don't twine around things, so if you want it on the trellis you'll need to tie in the stems as it grows.
    Mine is growing inside and around an obelisk but the stems that grow outside the support fall to the ground if they aren't tied in. I'm thinking to maybe try it through a shrub of some sort but I don't know how well that would work.
  • Thanks for the reply. That’s good to know, thank you. I’m very much a novice gardener and just assumed that it was a climber!

I could maybe look into an obelisk for this one and then plant a climber on the other side. It’s just quite a bit shadier over there so not sure how well a climber would grow.