Forum home Plants

Not Thalia.... but what is it?

JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
One of my 100 Thalia daffodils turned out to be not a daffodil at all. The closest match I can find on t'internet is Ornithogalum nutans, but what do you think? And is it worth keeping?

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    I think your identification is spot on...looks exactly like the picture on the Avon bulbs website https://www.avonbulbs.co.uk/spring-planted-bulbs-and-snowdrops/potted-plants/ornithogalum-nutans
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
    "It is generally pretty tough, easy and perfect for naturalising in drier, lighter soils." Hmm. Is that sales-speak for "it's a thug and will end up being more of a nuisance than spanish bluebells"?
    I'm tempted to stick it in the back of a border behind an old lilac tree, in the impoverished soil where the privet hedge used to be, and see what it does. Will I live to regret it, if I do?
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,308
    It's only the one...maybe worth trying it as an experiment.
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
    That's what I'm thinking. It's currently "quarantined" in a pot that I'd just pulled the winter pansies out of, so it can stay there until it's died back and then I'll see whether the bulb has split itself, and also how much seed it produces.
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    Oddly enough I have also had a rogue one appear, although I definitely didn't plant it.