Forum home Plants

Tree ID

TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
Does anyone know what this tree might be? We've got lots of saplings (first photo) and there's also a more mature tree (second photo). 

Thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,475
    Hello TimmyMagic. The sapling could be goat willow.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,134
    Those leaves look like a cornus to me. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TimmyMagicTimmyMagic Greater LondonPosts: 132
    Ladybird4 said:
    Hello TimmyMagic. The sapling could be goat willow.
    Thanks. That was my first thought as the bark looks very similar. We have a very nice goat willow elsewhere and I've just gone and checked it, but the leaves are quite different, so I don't think it is.
    Those leaves look like a cornus to me. 
    Here is another photo of the leaves:

edited May 2021
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,475
    edited May 2021
    Goat Willow Salix caprea - British Trees - Woodland Trust
    This is a picture of a goat willow sapling and you are right TimmyMagic, the leaves do not look right. The goat willow leaves look more coarse.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
    "Dogwood is a small broadleaf shrub, typically found growing along woodland edges and in hedgerows of southern England."

Well that all checks out, as it's a woodland area at the back of our garden - in southern England. Nothing has been planted there in decades and it's mostly sycamores, hazel, etc. 

I want to plant a proper native hedge. Do you think these saplings would be suitable, as there are so many of them?  
    Absolutely ... a perfect tree for a native wildlife hedge. 
    Lucky you. 😊