Forum home Plants

Fuschia help.

SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 614
Every year our village garden club is given a plug plant by our local garden centre to be grown on. At the September meeting the plants are judged (by someone from the garden centre) and biggest and most floriferous wins a small prize. Obviously this didn't happen last year but I have kept mine going and hope that it will stand a chance this year. However it looks a bit yellow and I don't know why. I gave it a liquid feed a couple of weeks ago but it didn't seem to make any difference. Can anyone give me any idea? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144
    Looks like a very healthy plant, depending on which fuchsia it is, some are very yellowy.
    When it’s buds appear is the time to start feeding it,  if you feed it before it will produce lots of green, you need to trick it into thinking it must flower to preserve it,  so feed after it starts to bloom. 
    I use tomato feed or sometimes Miracle grow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    The light levels have been a bit up and down, and that can effect plants, so just give it a bit of time with hopefully a bit more sun. I have a white fuchsia and it's leaves are lime green not dark green, so it depends what colour flowers it has too.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 614
    Thanks @lyn, I will wait and see what it does then. I don't remember what variety it is, for some reason I have Winston Churchill in my head but that could have been a previous year. 
     We always have daffodil for the spring competition and I never remember what those are either, which is a pity as they are sometimes really pretty.