Forum home Plants

Anemone Swan series - can I grow in dry(ish) shade?

CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
edited May 2021 in Plants
On a whim I have ordered Anemone Dainty Swan and Anemone Ruffled Swan.

I used to have a Wild Swan and it thrived for a few months and then just died. So strange. It was as if from one day to the next it had just decided that it had had enough. I've never really had a plant do that before and reading about and hearing how invasive anemones are I felt deeply inadequate...

Well I'm over it now and am trying again but thought I'd ask whether anyone else has these varieties and is growing them in similar conditions? I am planning to plant it in an area that receives very little sun, soil is quite dry. Currently growing in the same area is an acer, a hydrangea (Mme Emillie Moulliere), a fatsia and a fern. The hydrangea is happy enough until high summer when it wilts quite dramatically.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,360
    My Wild Swan did that too, bought another, same again. So don't feel inadequate.
    Sorry I can't help about the other too, haven't dared buy a Swan again.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
    How odd! Also reassuring - thank you @Busy-Lizzie . I'm not feeling as though it was my best decision but they're so pretty!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,314
    I have a Wild Swan which is in dappled shade on a dry bank, been there maybe 5 years, so you stand a chance. It isn't at all like the tall pink (mostly) Japanese anemones - those are much more robust plants. They haven't so far become invasive here but they do spread a bit and they certainly survive. I've had 'Honorine Jobert', which is quite tough, just turn up her toes under the rabbit onslaught. Luckily the bunnies didn't chose to eat Wild Swan. They are such pretty plants, it's worth a shot
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,482
    I moved my Wild Swan last year as it was in dry shade most of the day and couldn't make up its mind whether to live or not. It seems happier so far in better soil but more sunshine so I'm hoping. I understand Wild Swan in particular has a bit of a reputation for being temperamental. I made a special visit to the nurserywoman  who raised it (Elizabeth ? ) in Kirkcudbright, when we were staying nearby,  to buy it and loved the nursery, absolutely magical place.

• CamelliadCamelliad SussexPosts: 402
    I hadn't realised that Wild Swan was such a temperamental beast. I feel very reassured. 

@Lizzie27 that's really exciting. Did she tell you any background about it?

Ruffled and Dainty arrived today - in just perfect condition both of them - and I have planted them both. The soil isn't too bad so I'll keep an eye on them both and see how they get on.

I agree @raisingirl they're so pretty it's definitely worth trying again (but only really once more).