Forum home The potting shed

What is it about rainwater?

• B3B3 Posts: 18,676
    Whatever it does, it did it again today!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I don't know the science of rainwater, but our drinkable tap water goes through several processes in order to make it drinkable.....this obviously affects both the quality and taste.  I too see a huge difference after garden has been rained on when compared to being watered by hose, also, we don't directly pay water charges, so I really drench the garden.  Also, I find some 'natural' bottled water quite salty.
    Not being a tea or coffee or milk drinker, I can even taste the difference in local tap water as it comes from two different reservoirs. I have definite preferences in bottled water too. 
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    @B3 I love water from wells, a couple of friends of mine have sunk their own wells, the water is very 'fresh' and 'clean' tasting.  I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that we can drink our tap water, unlike a lot of other countries.
    Well water is lovely, but so many are neglected now.  I remember as a child when we stayed at my grandad's, going down  to the well for a bucket of water. 
  • ki_buxtki_buxt Son, NorwayPosts: 39
    I have 250 seedlings which I think could benefit from the rain. Have been hardening them off gradually for about 6 days now and rain is forecast from tomorrow and for the next few days. Rain showers here seem to be getting heavier and shorter the last few years and I am wary of putting such small plants out in the rain. Am I being overprotective? Should I just go ahead and plant them out and hope for the best? Same dilemma each year. Basically because what I am carrying in and out of the house on trays each day would cost me about £1,000 to buy in a garden centre here in Norway. I kid you not. What would you do? 
  • Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 685
    @ki-buxt if you are hardening them off then presumably they are almost ready to brave the world and rain anyway. Plants are remarkably resilient to heavy rain, it always amazes me how some of the most delicate looking just stand upright completely unbothered by the rain and the rest soon spring back up as they dry off.
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • ki_buxtki_buxt Son, NorwayPosts: 39
    Thanks Butterfly66. I will plant them out ASAP 🌿😊
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 810
    The only trouble with having your own well/borehole is watching the man slurrying the adjoining fields and......
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 577
    So is it better to water your seedlings grown in doors band your houseplants with rainwater instead of tap water? I always thought that seedlings especially needed tap water as it was more sterile.