Forum home Plants

Grey leafed plant or weed?

Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
Does anyone know if this grey leafed plant, which has popped up out of nowhere, wasn't there last year, is a weed or a plant worth keeping?

Dordogne and Norfolk

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,135
    edited May 2021
    Verbascum aka mullein 

Love love love them ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Usually biennial here but maybe as you’re a bit further south yours is flowering in its first year ... but those do look as if they’ve overwintered. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135
    Liz, did someone give you some little plants once? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 894
    Are the leaves furry? I have something similar if so.
    edited May 2021
    Most verbascum leaves are furry. 
    They have a tap root and font transplant well in their second year. 
    Like foxgloves theyre self-seeders if they’re happy. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
    They are in the Norfolk garden, OH sent the photo. As I'm stuck in France I don't know how furry they are. But there was a huge verbascum between the paving stones 2 or 3 years ago. I'd planted a penstemon in that corner about 2 years ago, OH says it's still there but buried between greater celandine and verbascum. I think he will weed them out. The huge one got covered in caterpillars.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I'm trying them for the first time this year. Do they get very slugged?
    The phlox has been razed to the grond this spring.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    edited May 2021
    They are verbascum.

Mullein moths love them.

Sounds like the Mullein moth  http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/british-moths/the-mullein-moth-and-caterpillar/#:~:text=The%20yellow%2C%20black%20and%20white%20caterpillars%20of%20Mullein,caterpillars%20during%20the%20months%20of%20June%20and%20July.

If he gets any unwanted new little verbascums pop up this year I’ll gladly take them off his hands ... I’d love some for this garden. 😊 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,384
    Yes, that's the caterpillar. They wrecked the plant, looked a real mess, started the attack just before we arrived. The plant was huge. Are you sure you want it?  :D
    Dordogne and Norfolk