Forum home Plants

Petunia pinching

KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,744
No, I'm not stealing Petunia's (tempting as that this).  I'm new to Petunia's, and just got my Beautical plugs a few weeks ago.  They are in 9cm pots, and about 4 inches high.  I read that you should pinch out the top shoots, to encourage more bushy plants which will produce more flowers.  Is this correct?  If so, at what size of plant do I start pinching them out?

I have only grown Tidal Wave Red Velour before, which doesn't need dead-heading.  Do Beautical and other Petunia's need dead-heading?  I also bought some Calibrachoa's, so same questions for those too.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,453
    I never bother dead heading, too many and sticky. If they get straggly I just clip them with shears. I don't bother pinching them out either but I know some people who do.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,299
    No,me neither
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2021
    KeenOnGreen, Yes at 4 inches high I would pinch out the top growth and remove any flowering stems now as well if there are any already.

Once you have established plants in there final positions with regard to deadheading I think your supposed to cut the flower stem back to its main stem, not just pinch the flower out as this leaves the now flowerless stem still drawing energy from the main plant trying to produce seed. Cut the stem out and that energy is diverted to new flower growth.

I think with all petunias (I'm no expert, but from experience) you can literally give them a cut back half way through the season to promote new growth. Certainly works with Red Velour.

Cant advise on Calibrachoa as I 'm not sure if there a part of the Petunia species .

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,744
    Thanks everyone, and appreciate the detail @Kili  Some flower buds have appeared on them, so I will pinch those out.  

I love Red Velour and wouldn't be without it.  The other varieties that I bought are a test.  If they don't require too much maintenance, then I'll definitely keep getting some every year.