Forum home The potting shed

Lily of the valley

Can I move lily of the valley plants now whilst flowering?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,107
    I find them quite tolerant to move at almost any time. They're tough.
    Just follow the usual rule of watering well before and after. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,041
    I'd move it into the compost bin before it goes for world domination. ;)
    Devon.
  • StorminStormin Posts: 22
    Hi thanks for replies. Have dug up several clumps (couldn't believe the roots on them) and put in a large tub. The rest I have binned.Love the perfume of the flowers but so invasive. Hopefully the tub ones will reappear next Spring.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,445
    What you don't like them Hosta,!!!
    What you don't like them Hosta,!!!
    they're in flower for about a fortnight and , as @Stormin says " so invasive"
    Devon.
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,030
    But they can be controlled by taking out the ones you don't wont being where they shouldn't be.
    They have such a lovely scent and worth being in any garden.
    lovely for the 5 mins they're in flower , very dull, and invasive,  the rest of the time
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,719
    edited 18 May
    Wish they’d be a bit more invasive here ... it’s taking them for ever to spread along edge of the side path where I want it to fill the spaces between the ferns. Seven years so far and its not even doubled in size yet ... we have a patch 12” x 6” at the most. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,713
    I feel the same I want them to spread in a shady area but the last lot I bought disappeared completely. Trying again this year. They were my grandads favourite and I do love the smell. 
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,746
    They’re doing the world domination thing here .....but that means there is plenty around to do this ....

Lovely smell - wouldn’t be without them
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.