Forum home The potting shed

Repotting

Hi,

I've got some house plants that have grown too big for their pots, so am repotting.

Am low on resources but have a large pot (without drainage holes) and bag of multi-purpose peat compost. There is also a very silty river nearby and am thinking some additional silt would add nutrients. Also there is the question of adding rocks and newspaper to the pots.

Any tips?

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,355
    I don't think your plants will be very happy in pots without drainage holes in the bottom, can you not make some holes and then stand the pots on trays? The roots will not be happy sitting in wet soil unless they are bog plants?
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,762
    You need to drill drainage holes in that pot. It's not really a good idea to use outdoor soil for indoor plants, it's too heavy and it could contain diseases and weed seeds. Bought soil or compost is the right texture and has been sterilised.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,676
    Also, the more proper compost you put in rather than fillers, the longer it will be before you need to repot again. I find polystyrene trays from bought plants broken up is best if you want to save on compost
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,445
    I recently bought a big pot to go in my living room, unfortunately it had to be plastic because any other material was way out of my price range. It sits on laminate,has no drainage holes,I just make sure I don't overdo the watering. I didn't want to risk it being overwatered with a small saucer underneath,and ruining the laminate