Forum home Plants

Planting Dahlias Out?

My Dahlias grown from new tubers in my back kitchen on a West facing window are about 10-11 inches tall, and due for pinching at some stage soon. I’ve been hardening them off during the day for about a week.

Has anyone taken the plunge and planted theirs out yet?

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    No, they have been outside night and day for a week I don't pinch out, some are staying in pots do that's it,they are OUT OUT haha
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121
    I planted mine outside yesterday and crossed my fingers🤞🏻. I live in the NW which is quite mild
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 380
    The one I managed to grow from seed was left by mistake on Saturday outside and it's still alive. The swanky potted one has survived winter in Bristol and is now fighting the slugs. I've also a Coltness dahlia that I grew from seed that has survived overwintering in a pot.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,690
    My new ones are in pots in the cold frame, open days and milder nights. The old ones have been in the ground all winter and most have started to grow.
  • SwedboySwedboy Posts: 380
    I have one that seems to appear on and off thats been in the ground for about 10 years. Was rather surprised when it popped up the other year after being dormant for quite a while. Sadly the slugs ravaged it
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Mine are out day and night in their potting up pots... am going to plant them in the next couple of days... 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564
    It has been unusually cold here so mine have only been outside, in their pots, for a few days.  I shall be planting them in the next few days once I've got their seep hose and composting and manure sorted out.   

I only lifted them last autumn cos I needed their old bed for broad beans and they were getting a bit cramped anyway and needing more space.   This is their new forever bed.  They'll be staying there and not being lifted again till I need to thin them in 2 or 3 years' time and I'll just take cuttings of the best to increase those.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GearóidGearóid EnglandPosts: 198
    Mine are all planted out now (NW England) as I'd noticed when weeding that the ones left in the ground from last year were already  throwing up healthy shoots. 
  • Seems like consensus is get ‘em staying out overnight, and get moving in the next ten days or so then.
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2021
    I've planted 40 today. they have been in the greenhouse for over a month and my min/max thermometer was showing 9.5 degrees over night for the last week or so, so they have gone out. I have a tray of 20 held back in the greenhouse just in case. Just couldn't hold them off any longer as the roots were bursting out the pots.

I'm quite far South off the coast of France (St Malo) so temperatures are a bit higher here. Its just the blasted wind thats a blasted nuisance.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'