Forum home Plants

Climbing Netting for Annual Climbers?

honeybeanhoneybean West SussexPosts: 49
I think I read somewhere that you can grow climbers up transparent netting or pea netting up a fence. Has anyone done that? 

I have some Cobaea, Morning Glory, Sweetpea and Black Eyed Susan seedlings and I want grow them up my fence. 

I was hoping to attach something like netting to the fence for them to climb up. I just wondered if anyone has any success of doing this? 

Thanks 
Thanks 🌻

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    It's not something I've ever used - mainly because I think it looks horrible, but also because I prefer something a little more substantial for climbers to wrap tendrils around if they're on fences. For those, I used plastic coated wire stretched across, and I tie on stems until they have enough to catch onto themselves. Mine also grow through other shrubs or planting. 
    I remember them doing a trial on Beechgrove some years ago using various types of support for a larger area. From memory,  I don't think the netting did very well. Heavier duty plastic mesh did far better.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I agree.  Netting looks dreadful and isn't a strong support and can trap birds too.

You'd be better off with tensioned wires but if you can't attach vine eyes for some reason there is a clip system called Gripple which you could investigate.

An alternative would be a sheet of builders' mesh - the rusty kind they use for reinforcing concrete - from a builders' merchants.   It can be cut to size if you need to and is cheap, indestructible and almost invisible against a fence, especially when covered in climbers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • honeybeanhoneybean West SussexPosts: 49
    Obelixx said:
    I agree.  Netting looks dreadful and isn't a strong support and can trap birds too.

You'd be better off with tensioned wires but if you can't attach vine eyes for some reason there is a clip system called Gripple which you could investigate.

An alternative would be a sheet of builders' mesh - the rusty kind they use for reinforcing concrete - from a builders' merchants.   It can be cut to size if you need to and is cheap, indestructible and almost invisible against a fence, especially when covered in climbers.
    I like the rusty mesh idea, thanks. I do already have tensioned wires on the fence, which are in place for my climbing rose. They are 2ft apart for the rose and I feel the distance apart is too much for climbers. Which is why I was thinking of putting the netting behind them. But I agree with your comments. I think the mesh could be useful to slide behind the wires. 
    Thanks 🌻
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    Or just add extra wires.  12'/30cms is much better.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • honeybeanhoneybean West SussexPosts: 49
    Fairygirl said:
    It's not something I've ever used - mainly because I think it looks horrible, but also because I prefer something a little more substantial for climbers to wrap tendrils around if they're on fences. For those, I used plastic coated wire stretched across, and I tie on stems until they have enough to catch onto themselves. Mine also grow through other shrubs or planting. 
    I remember them doing a trial on Beechgrove some years ago using various types of support for a larger area. From memory,  I don't think the netting did very well. Heavier duty plastic mesh did far better.  :)
    Love your comment about growing climbers through shrubs. How do you do that? Do they strangle the shrubs? Are there particular types of shrubs you can grow climbers through? I would like to try that.  I have a camellia, lilac, forsythia and shrub roses. :smile:
    Thanks 🌻
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,147
    The camellia, forsythia and lilac will all be fine for things like sweet peas and morning glory. I don't grow roses. Cobeas are quite vigorous once they start, so they'd probably be best growing up a fairly substantial shrub or tree. When you bear in mind that you can grow lots of clematis up and through shrubs and trees, it isn't any different using annuals   :)
    I have them scrambling through Viburnum, Broom and spring Spireas. They've all finished flowering by the time annual climbers are growing well. Just plant them a small distance away from the shrub, angle them towards it with a cane or similar,  and make sure they have sufficient food and water. They'll then catch hold themselves, and use the shrub as a support :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,328
    Just don't try it with edible peas and beans unless feeding the birds and squirrels is what you meant to do. Breakfast in bed  :o
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”