Forum home Plants

Shrubs for an acid soil

InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567
edited May 2021 in Plants
I already have quite a number of rhododrendrons and camellias. Can anyone suggest some others? The situation is quite sunny and dry. I would like something summer/autumn flowering.
Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,266
    Have a look at the Fothergilla ... spring flowering (gorgeous scent)  but glorious autumn colour ...  needs moist but free-draining acid soil and sunshine ... improve the soil with lots of organic matter and mulching and with luck it shouldn’t need too much watering in most years. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    I love a Crinodendron hookerianum.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • SueAtooSueAtoo DorsetPosts: 264
    I love my variegated eleagnus, delicious scent in autumn though tiny flowers, loved by bees.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    Summer to autumn,  I love my hydrangeas,  gorgeous deep blue colours turning to dark purple later. 
    August and still lots of flowers to come..

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
    Beautiful hydrangeas @Lyn
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 2,046
    Pieris do well in acid soil. Clumps of pretty white flowers in spring, look like lily of the valley, and the new foliage is brilliant red, depending on the variety. Very easy care.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,548
    Grevillea can take acid, sunny and dry.
  • InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567
    Thanks very much for all your suggestions: I like the idea of Grevillea and will bear it in mind when (if) we go back to Brazil! Pieris, yes I'd forgotten about that one. My hydrangeas are puch paler than yours Lyn and there are no purplish ones . Could be the variety. Good luck all!
    Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    I have pale ones as well.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.