Forum home Plants

Honeysuckle Identification

CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 113
I was given a cutting of a honeysuckle I had long admired and, amazingly, it took.  The lady I had it from had always know it as 'cup and saucer' honeysuckle but i can find no such reference.
It flowers in tiers, rather like a three tier cake stand, flowering from the bottom first. Each 'plate' of flowers sits on two leaf bracts.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,102
    I know of 3 honeysuckles of that colour and form..

..they are Lonicera periclymenum 'Graham Thomas'... 'Scentsation'.. and 'Sweet Sue'..

..they are all rather similar, but if I had to take a guess,
    I'd say you've got 'Sweet Sue'..
  • CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 113
    Thank you Marlorena. Looking them up I didn't think these suggestions quite fitted the bill, so did some more research.
    I now believe it is the Italian honeysuckle, Lonicera Caprifolia. Evidently the 'Caprifolia' refers to the stem appearing to cut through the leaves. The colour is right, also very fragrant.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,102
    edited May 2021
    Oh ok,  sounds good, interestingly different.. I understand that Caprifolia flowers are tinged with pink, so as long as you can see that too..

I also think I need one .. lol..
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,137
    Leaves very distinctive...very rounded perfoliate.
    I wonder if it is a named one.....Lonicera caprifolium Anna Fletcher...early to flower.

Lonicera 'Anna Fletcher' is an all yellow flowered form of L.caprifolium is free flowering in the spring 
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • CollareddoveCollareddove SE WalesPosts: 113
    I think you may be right Silver Surfer, could well be Anna Fletcher as the description is spot on, flowering April/May  ivory creamy white flowers, not with any pink tinge. And the perfume is out of this world!
    Marlorena, you certainly need one! ...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,120
    I think you may be right Silver Surfer, could well be Anna Fletcher as the description is spot on, flowering April/May  ivory creamy white flowers, not with any pink tinge. And the perfume is out of this world!
    Marlorena, you certainly need one! ...
    I know that I do too 😃 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh