Forum home Plants

What would you plant here?

FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 534
Hi I’m looking for ideas! 

This area defining the driveway is nowadays very overgrown with bushes and shrubs and brambles too. 
so I need to dig it up and start again. 
But I’ve no idea what to plant! 
The only ask is low maintenance. 
Any and all suggestions are welcome: what would you plant? 
I’ve included an old picture so you can see the space available. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,507
    Hello Ffoxglove. A mix of hardy geraniums would be a low maintenance suggestion for you and there are all sorts of colours available.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,572
    How old is that photo?  It looks fine.  If it's been left untended and has gone a bit wild than maybe some of the shrubs are overgrown and just need pruning to size and shape and any weeds and brambles removed.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 534
    it is an old photo. I’ll add a newer photo when I can. 
    I’d like something low maintenance and possibly evergreen. 
    Are trees too ambitious? 
    Amalemchier obelisk? Or cypress? 
  • AstraeusAstraeus SheffieldPosts: 313
    Viburnum tinus. Plant it and forget it. Manageable without being box-like, evergreen and has year-round interest with flowers and berries.
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 865
    Choisya? Very hardy, can grow tallish, lovely flowers, evergreen, nice scent...
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    A hedge might be good.
  • WhalehqWhalehq Posts: 10
    I assume you're after a bit of privacy so I'd go with fire's suggestion of a nice hedge. My favourites are copper beech and photinia red fwiw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    As its a parking area with egress onto the road, trees  and taller shrubs won’t be suitable as they’ll obstruct the driver’s vision of oncoming traffic and pedestrians ... a property near here has recently been compelled to remove shrubs that obstruct the drivers’ sightline. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,072
    Lavender?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,439
    I think that Choisya and Viburnum Tinus would be far too big, they grow wide as well as tall and would need a lot of clipping to the detriment of flowers if they are to be kept small enough for that area.

I would go for short shrubs, such as Lavender, Caryopteris, Hebe, small Spireas, with something like cordyline "Pink Passion" for colour and texture.
    Dordogne and Norfolk