Forum home Plants

Help with identifying a vine-type plant?

AcuwellAcuwell Posts: 86
This one has long roots and keeps emerging even though I am digging out the whole root?  Can anyone ID it for me please so I can decide if it is worth cultivating or just keep on digging it out?  Many thanks!

• MarranMarran Posts: 171
    Bindweed
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    Yes, bindweed.  It has really deep roots, almost impossible to dig out.  You can weaken it by removing as much as possible every time it appears above ground - or, if you're not opposed to using weedkillers, you can spray it with glyphosate weedkiller (Roundup or similar).  If it's twined round plants you want to keep, un-twine it and put the stems (still attached to the root, of course!) into a plastic bag and spray weedkiller inside the bag.
    The flowers are very pretty but it will take over your garden given half a chance...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,490
    Indeed.
  • AcuwellAcuwell Posts: 86
    Oh No! Not Bindweed.  At the moment it seems to be just in one patch so I will get at it asap and both dig and weedkill the thug.  Thanks for the heads up and identification, I might have been going to let it grow to see what it was....
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,120
    Yes, it's the white flowered Hedge Bindweed, not the pink flowered Field Bindweed.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh