Forum home Plants

Fungus in bought plant!

Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328
Hi all!  Recommendations for this beauty - on a tomato plant I bought yesterday.  Is it "back to the shop for a refund" or is it harmless?  The toms going to be in a greenhouse.

Thanks!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,255
    Not a problem ... there will be mycelium in the compost breaking down the organic matter into a form that can be accessed by your plant's roots.  The fungus is just the fruiting body of the mycelium.  Perfectly normal ... good, even. :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877
    It's a cup fungus of some kind by the looks of it. They occur a lot on soil and woodchip but don't seem to do any harm. Turn over that top layer of compost and cover it with a layer of dry stuff then water from below when you need to and it'll probably disappear. That soil looks very wet though. 
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Midlands of EnglandPosts: 328
    Great - thanks both.  @wild edges - it looks wetter than it is, but when you say "water from below" I presume you mean putting the pot in a saucer of water?  Won't that soak the soil through?
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,877
    When you water from below the capillary action of the water has to battle gravity so it can only rise up so far. I grow all my tomatoes in open bottom pots standing on a tray of gravel and just keep the gravel topped up with water. You're less likely to get fungal problems and split skins that way.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people