Forum home Plants

Beautiful Hosta

peteSpeteS Posts: 870
A beautiful hosta, it's normally been ravaged by molluscs by now. But a very dry April meant all the critters who would have normally started nibbling at it, were kept dormant. There have been one or two nibbles appear since the wet May started, but I've managed to keep most of the culprits away...so far. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts as I might not see it like this again.

• that's gorgeous @peteS :) I'm enjoying my hostas at the moment as they are loving the rain!
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    I’m new to hostas this year and was ready to wage slug wars, but touch wood they are fine, but just wait I’m going away for a few days, what’s the odds I come back to stumps?
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    What a beaut. I have just planted 3 young hostas, never had slugs in my newish garden, is there anything I can do to prevent slug attack? Does garlic water work?
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,142
    Elfer said:
    What a beaut. I have just planted 3 young hostas, never had slugs in my newish garden, is there anything I can do to prevent slug attack? Does garlic water work?
    @Hostafan1
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,262
    Gorgeous.  :disappointed:
    @Elfer I've never tried garlic spray but many on the UK Hosta Society FB page swear by it.  I have frogs and blackbirds and hedgehogs in the garden ( and NO cat ) . They seem to keep the numbers under control for me. Or it's the sheer numbers which defeat the slugs? o:)
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,014
    Disappointed that this is not a thread about our own beautiful @Hostafan1😀
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    punkdoc said:
    Disappointed that this is not a thread about our own beautiful @Hostafan1😀
    methinks you're confusing me with some who is ,actually, beautiful.  o:)
    Devon.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    We have a cat @Hostafan1 he is only 6 months so for the moment he gets to go in the garden on a leash which isn't long enough to reach the Hosta corner, do they mess up the Hostas?

A friend got chickens to get rid of slugs but then a fox managed to dig his way into their fenced quarter and then the second lot started falling I'll, some say slugs aren't good for them!
    Elfer said:
    We have a cat @Hostafan1 he is only 6 months so for the moment he gets to go in the garden on a leash which isn't long enough to reach the Hosta corner, do they mess up the Hostas?

No, they just kill everything living thing they can get hold of.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,092
    I don't think your cat is likely to damage your hostas @Elfer :)   I've never known that to happen, we have quite a few hostas and the neighbour has cats and ours are fine ... best not introduce him to @Hostafan1 tho ... they might not get on 😉
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh