Forum home Plants

Best soil mix for potting up chilli plants

BluebelltimeBluebelltime Posts: 196
I'm going to pot up my chillies plants which are about 20cm high now. What's the best soil mix for chillies ? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I just use MPC with good results.  They prefer to be potted-on several times, into steadily increasing pot sizes, as they can 'sulk' (stop growing for a period) if planted into too large a pot.
    I use 7cm pots then 12cm before they go into their final pot.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,686
    Timely advice, thanks @BobTheGardener . Mine are currently in 7cm but just about ready for something bigger.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,560
    I suspect they'd be happy in a loam based compost too as I grow my chillies in the soil in the polytunnel which we improve each spring with a good thick layer of home made garden compost and then a generous sprinkle of granular tomato feed at planting time.

The RHS advises MPC in its info but the key is regular watering and adequate feeding.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/chilli-pepper  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BluebelltimeBluebelltime Posts: 196
    What about john innes 2 or even 3?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I would say JI#2 would be better as it's more free-draining.  I forgot to say that I add some perlite if the compost I happen to use seems a bit 'claggy'.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,560
    If that's what you have they should be fine but 3 for preference as it has more nutrients and mix it with up 4 parts JI with one part MPC for moisture retention.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BluebelltimeBluebelltime Posts: 196
    Thanks, that is useful.