Forum home Plants

Plug plants from Thomson and Morgan

Pam100Pam100 Posts: 75
Morning all
Has anyone else received plug plants which were on offer through GW magazine earlier on in the year?  They were due to be dispatched and delivered by 30 April. They were delivered on 13 May and most are either half dead or completely dead!  I’m really disappointed as I was looking forward to receiving them and potting them on to grow for the garden. I’ve emailed the company and awaiting a reply. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,629
    Mine were not as bad as that last year, but they came so late they never made it in the garden. Also as they were half hardy they didn't make it through the very cold winter/spring. So a waste all round. Won't get from T&M again.
  • KiliKili Posts: 1,019
    edited May 2021
    I Never ever buy from T&M anymore, their quality and service is so random you can never be sure of consistent quality or service. After complaining they will either say they no longer have your kind of plant in stock and then offer you a gift voucher instead. Demand a refund.

Also they have just bought out Suttons and Dobies of Devon so all 3 of these companies are now effectively T&M. I bought from them once never again. Dobies is now off my list .

I only order stuff hard to grow from seed such as Calibrachoa . I'm going to give the seed another  try. I have some plants now and will try and keep some going through winter for cuttings next spring if they survive the winter in my greenhouse or porch.

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    I wouldn’t buy anything from T&M, but your roots are still there, put them in 3” flower pots, keep in the  Greenhouse for a week or two and they’ll probably start shooting from the base.
    That’s  the problem with these cheap plug offers, they need TLC. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,629
    edited May 2021
    Would help @Lyn if they were packed better. Little puffer bags with 36 stuffed in, not secured,  little compost , and in letter post, does not help. Plus being one/two months late, means they are too small to plant out at the time they should be.
  • Mark-EMark-E Pontypridd, WalesPosts: 179
    We had some poor ones from T&M which were half dead last year. To be fair to them they did give me a refund.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,294
    Mine arrived early April and are growing really nicely.  Lost one echinacea, but everything else is good.  Most of mine (geums, salvias, verbena and achilleas) will be ready for the garden soon, but the echinaceas will probably need nurturing in a pot til next year.
  • @chicky I had that selection, and how interesting I lost one echinacea too! Just planted out the achilleas. The salvias have only just started to pick up. 

Overall very pleased - looks like a bad lot @Pam100 so disappointing.
  • Pam100Pam100 Posts: 75
    Thanks for all your replies of your experiences. I ordered from them last year on an offer and was pleased with them so thought I would give them another go. Not anymore though!!  You’re right purplerallim I can’t see them getting in the ground at all to be honest. So disappointed. 
  • mac12mac12 Posts: 149
    Same here should have had them early April ready to grow on and they turned up last Friday much to late to grow on. I won't be ordering from them again 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    I have the same selection as Chicky and Flowers and mine are all doing well.