Forum home Plants

Help with plant ID please

KitBMillerKitBMiller Posts: 33
Hi, I've got these in my new build front garden and I want to make this small patch 'pollinator positive'. I'm also not sure its in a favourable situation for it.  Could anyone identify this for me please?  - So I can move it or re-home it. Thanks in advance.

• Cambridgerose12Cambridgerose12 Posts: 1,044
    edited May 2021
    This is a variegated Weigelawhich will become a medium sized shrub in time. Moving it now is likely to kill it—it will survive better moved in October. AFAIK they are quite liked by bees, but it’s a long time since I had one.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601
    They are attractive and tough shrubs which flower in spring and have pretty leaves all summer. Pollinators like them - at least in my garden - and they are easy and fuss free. After flowering, cut back spent stems and shape if you wish. They will grow in almost any soil and most positions, though they like some sun.  I would think very hard before digging up such a pleasing shrub.
  • KitBMillerKitBMiller Posts: 33
    Thank you Cambridgerose & Posy, that's great.  They are pretty, I will keep them in the front garden, but I will move them as they were planted at the back of the border and there are taller spirea in front of them hiding them which is a shame as the hues are really pretty.  Rest assured - anything I (rarely) dig out is freecycled or rehomed. Thank you again.   
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    edited May 2021
    Don’t move it ... it’ll grow into a taller shrub ... it’s only a baby now. 
    It’s the ideal shrub for the back of the border. 
    It sounds as if you’ve got some really good plants there 🐝 🦋 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Its been in just short of 3 years and its about 50cm tall.  The Spirea in front of it is hiding it.  I'm wondering if it needs a bit more sun as it gets some of the shadow from the house?  Its sort of west south west position
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Some Weigelia grow into very large shrubs, others such as Weigelia Monet, are smaller.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    Ah thank you Punkdoc, i think I must have  a short one.  I haven't seen any of these on the estate that are taller.  I will move it forward into a bit more sun and so it can be seen.